Wednesday, September 18, 2013

DIY: Pumpkin Spice Latte & Chai

   
Earlier this month, Starbucks put the infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte back on the menu. After a somewhat frightening experience of customers realizing we finally had this drink and 1000% of them ordering it, I thought it'd be fun to try and make my own Pumpkin Syrup and share it with all you cray cray PSL fanatics. Since I have access to the Starbucks syrup, I was able to make my homemade version taste almost the same (if not better), and for less money, less calories (24 cal. per tbsp), and less chemicals. After trial and error, I finally came up with my best version of Pumpkin Syrup:


Ingredients:

1/2 cp. Granulated Sugar (I used Organic Brown granulated sugar)
1/4 cp. Brown Sugar
4 tbsp. Libby's canned pumpkin puree
1/2 tsp.Nutmeg
1/2 tsp.Cloves
1 Cinnamon Stick
Optional: 1/4 tsp. of Ginger if you want it a bit spicier. I liked it better without.

Recipe:

1) Add water and sugar to a small pan and wait for it to boil (it boils quickly!).
2) Reduce it to a simmer and add in the other ingredients
3) Stir occasionally for five minutes
4) Let is stand & cool for 10 minutes
5) Store in air-tight container and keep for up to three weeks!




Pumpkin Spice Latte:

For those of you who don't know, a latte (as well as all espresso drinks), is primarily steamed milk, with shots of espresso in it. Since I don't own a steam wand or espresso machine, I improvised. I would add as much syrup as you want, but 2 tbsp was enough for me. 

Ingredients:

-Milk
-Coffee 
-Pumpkin Syrup


Recipe:

1) Fill most of your mug with milk and either microwave or boil it.
2) Add a splash of coffee to taste (or if you have an espresso machine, put in a shot)
3) Add 2 tbsp. of the syrup and bring it to a boil on the stove!

Pumpkin Chai:
One of my favorite drinks is a chai tea latte, and I'm happy to say that this Pumpkin Chai is SO extremely delicious. I feel like I am drinking Fall (you'll understand once you try it) and it gives me insta-comfort. I've worked at two different coffee shops, and at one they used hot water mixed with chai, and the other used steamed milk. I prefer the milk because it is much creamier and sweeter (milk sweetens as it is steamed or warmed up). For the chai, I use Oregon Chai Original Concetrate. You can buy this from almost any grocery store- I bought mine at my local Kroger. 


Ingredients:

-Oregon Chai (I bought the Chai Tea Original concentrate at my local Kroger)
-Milk
-Pumpkin Syrup


Recipe:

1) Fill up your mug with equal parts Chai Concentrate and Milk 
2) Put it in a pan and add 1tbsp. of the PS
3) Bring to a boil


Enjoy friends!

Here's a  a bonus track from Mumford and Son's latest album that I've been listening to lately. It's really beautiful and a bit softer than the rest of their songs:





4 comments:

  1. I NEED ALL OF THESE THINGS!
    Thanks for sharing :) also, let's hang out sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipe, Kelly! I made it tonight and can't wait to have it with my coffee in the mornin'! Hope all is well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I plan to buy pumpkin tomorrow so I can try this out.

    ReplyDelete